If you ask ten people what their biggest fears are, eight would list fire in the top three. It is always a huge concern. Knowing what to look for in your home to keep it safe gives peace of mind. Here are a few items that are easy to observe, and your prompt attention to these will help ensure that your family is safe and sound.
LOOSE OR BROKEN WALL OUTLETS:
Wall outlets take a lot of abuse. Over time, they can become loose from the wall, or the sockets may break. Wiring may also become loose at the attachment screws, causing power to go off and on to a device. Wall outlets account for a large percentage of fires, and should be taken care of promptly.
Lights that flicker may indicate something as simple as a loose wire in the light socket, or they could indicate a variance in the power coming into the home. A qualified electrician can isolate the problem quickly and determine the correct fix.
Light switches do wear out. Replace old switches as they lose their clicky feel. Old wiring may be a culprit and a small spark could easily ignite a fire.
DAMAGED CORDS ON APPLIANCES:
Appliance cords can be damaged over time, whether the kids run over them with the vacuum cleaner, or they rub against something. The plug end may wear, and not fit tightly into the outlet. New cords are cheap fire insurance, and our electricians can replace them quickly.
BREAKERS THAT NEED RESET OFTEN:
If you find yourself resetting a breaker often, or you know that you can’t run the coffeemaker and the microwave at the same time, you need to have your distribution checked. Older homes especially are often underwired for today’s needs, and you may need new circuits added. If the wiring is adequate, it may be a faulty breaker that needs to be replaced. Either way, our electricians will know what to do.
UPDATED GFCI OUTLETS NEAR WATER SOURCES:
If you do not have Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlets near your bathroom and kitchen sinks, it would be a good idea to have them installed. These outlets will kick out in hundredths of a second if a direct path to ground is established, as can happen if an appliance is dropped into water.
OVERUSE OF EXTENSION CORDS:
Older homes simply weren’t built with enough outlets for our needs. It is common to see extension cords strung everywhere. Overuse of these cords can lead to circuit overload, overheating of the cords, and then fire. Avoid stringing cords together. If you simply need more power in a room, call us. Our electricians can add power where you need it.
For nearly 20 years, Professional Electric has provided the Mobile Area with skilled tradesmen who take pride in their work. Quality craftsmanship, great customer service, and satisfied clients speak volumes about the work we do. If you have any issues with your home wiring, call us. We will be happy to make you a satisfied customer, too.
If you are in need of any residential or commercial electrical services in Baldwin County or Mobile, Alabama look no further than Professional Electric! Visit us online at www.ProfessionalElectric.biz and connect with us on Facebook and Twitter! We are available 24/7 for emergency services!
Mobile: (251) 473-5788
Baldwin County: (251) 929-8957
© Southern View Media 2016 : Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited. All Rights Reserved.